It ain't easy, but I have TRIED to get into a routine with my kiddos! Doing so has kept them (and me!) healthy, even when winter germs abound.
And guess what you guys?? Lately, I have STUNK at our routine. And you know what happened? We all got sick for like 3 weeks. I know it's not a coincidence.
So that's why I am taking a break from our BACK TO BASICS email series to share with you my family's essential oil routine. It is not fun to be sick this time of year. In fact, being sick made me realize how wonderful it is to be healthy!! I know without a doubt that creating a consistent essential oil routine in your home WORKS because when we stopped...we got sick.
I realize that life happens and hello...we can't control that. And seriously, routine???
Even the word kind of makes me cringe!! You see...
those are NOT my forte...at ALL. In fact, I often have such lofty goals that the overwhelm keeps me from even trying. Basically...if you struggle with this too, trust me, I get it.
That's why creating a SIMPLE routine that works has been so key for me! It doesn't stress me out, it feels doable, and it keeps my kids healthy. The amazing side benefit is that I sit down, one on one, with each kiddo and focus on them...even if it's only for a minute. It's a special time to bond.
So if you've fallen out of the habit like I did, or if you've never even created an essential oil routine, here is some info just for you! I hope you love it and that it helps you just as much as it's helped me.
PREVENT - A Protective Blend applied daily is a fabulous preventative step. It is an essential oil blend that supports healthy immune function and smells wonderful, to boot!
What we do:
- Diffuse 3-4 drops in a diffuser in the kitchen when all of the family is gathered for breakfast or dinner. Also, diffuse a drop or two at night in the bedrooms.
- Place 10 drops of Protective Blend in a 10 mL roller bottle and fill to the top with carrier oil. Roll on kiddo spines and feet each day.
- Gargle with 1 drop at the first sign of feeling under the weather (this tip is to keep you healthy as an adult!). Kids can use an Protective Blend Beadlet or a throatdrop.
BOOST - Frankincense is such a powerful oil and is a wonderful secondary boost. In fact, it is often referred to as the "King" of all oils. Frankincense is known to support healthy cellular function and when inhaled or diffused, it promotes feelings of peace, relaxation, satisfaction, and overall wellness.
What we do:
- Diffuse at bedtime - 1 drop along with any other oil. Frankincense enhances all other oils! I love it combined with Marjoram.
- Rub 1 drop on the bottoms of the feet at bed to boost the immune system and calm the mind.
CALM - Part of having a strong immune system is reducing stress! Did you know that stress lowers immune function? Boosting our nutrition reduces stress on the physical body, but emotional stress also plays a role in our overall health. I like to use Lavender daily on my kiddos because it so soothing. It promotes feelings of relaxation and also reduces tension. An added benefit to this is helping any anxious or nervous kiddos to feel more calm before heading to school. Do your best to limit sugar (I know...so hard this time of year!), drink lots of water, and use your calming oils!
What we do:
- Place 1 drop of lavender on the bottoms of each foot at night, after On Guard and Frankincense.
- Use 1-2 drops in 1/2 cup of epsom salt for a calming bedtime bath.
- Rub on the back of the neck before leaving for school.
KEEP IT MOVING - Digestion is a huge part of staying healthy, so while this doesn't boost the immune system per se, it's a critical step in maintaining optimal health. I like to use our Digestive Blend on the tummy (rolled in a circular motion) to help support healthy digestive processes. The Digestive Blend we use is a unique blend of Ginger, Fennel, Coriander, Peppermint, Tarragon, Anise, and Caraway. All of these beautiful essential oils work together to help maintain a healthy digestive tract.
What we do:
- Put 10 drops of Digestive Blend in a 10 mL roller bottle and fill to the top with carrier oil. Rub on the tummy around the belly button daily.
SUPPORT - Having daily nutrient support is a key part of wellness. Using a wholefood multivitamin fills in the gaps in our diet as well as supports healthy cell development and longevity when taken daily. A quality fish oil supplement supports healthy brain, cardiovascular, immune, and joint function.
What we do:
- Kiddos take wholefood chewable vitamins in the morning before school.
- At bedtime, the kids drink 1 teaspoon of wild orange flavored fish oil in a small cup with about 1 teaspoon of my homemade elderberry syrup.
- To keep me healthy and full of energy, I take a special trio of supplements which combines a whole food vitamin and mineral, fish oil, and antioxidants. I feel SO much better when I am consistent with these.
Additional essential oils or other supplements can be added as needed, depending on any individual support your child is needing.
If you have specific concerns or questions and want some individualized routine ideas, feel free to email me back! I have personal experience with kiddos who struggle with Autism/ADHD/Allergies as my oldest son, Max, is on the spectrum. Essential oils, nutritional support, and digestive support have been KEY for him especially.
What I outlined above is a fabulous baseline support to keep your kiddos' bodies strong all year long! This oil routine is simple, making it easy and completely doable for even the busiest families. If *I* can do this routine, you can too!
Ready to get started with your own essential oils? Grab my favorites here!