Many of you who have followed me for years might be familiar with the fact that I have struggled with seemingly unexplained fatigue and other issues for YEARS...at least 15 years, to be exact. I have written quite a few health updates over the years on this blog as I have tried many different avenues of healing...
Here are some of the things I've written over the years about my health:
So here we are today. And I am still tired. And that sucks. I feel so so so drained. For so many years, I did special diet after special diet, saw doctor after doctor, and took supplement after supplement to help heal myself and my son. And I feel like I am just back at square one.
It's hard to even figure out what to write right now...so I apologize if this post is all garbled.
We will start with my most recent shenanigans at the doctor's office. I started seeing the practice East West Health and I LOVE it. They are great - so supportive and loving! Plus I am doing acupuncture for the first time (I did a couple of sessions when I was pregnant with my third but have never done it therapeutically) and I am LOVING acupuncture - surprisingly.
I like that they integrate Eastern and Western medicine and that their philosophy is "Test, don't Guess." So we have done a TON of testing...instead of writing a big list I am just going to write down what we tested and what we've uncovered so far...
Hair Analysis for food and environmental sensitivities + nutrient deficiencies:
- Found out I am intolerant to Beets, Black Tea, Broccoli, Honey, Butter Lettuce, Mixed Seafood, Red Currant, Walnut, Pistachio, Oats. I have to avoid these foods for 3-4 weeks and then I can reintroduce them one at a time to see if they are causing any reactions. Most aren't a big deal but I do have to say that Broccoli is like my favorite so #WHINYFACE.
- Also sensitive to lots of environmental junk like Dust, Trees/Grasses, Dogs, Fungus, Mold, Formaldehyde, Birds, Rodents, etc...
- Deficient in Glutathione and Vitamin B6
- I have two genetic mutations...I don't know a ton about them yet but I have MTHFR and COMT. So we are supporting my body to help these mutations. Getting Magnesium, Glutathione, B Vitamin injections at the office weekly.
- Found out I am not digesting fats.
- I have inflammation.
- I have some markers for IBS.
- I need more diversity - so strong probiotics and prebiotics.
- A few types of bacteria that are overgrown but no parasites or yeast. Suspecting SIBO or maybe even Celiac.
- Sort of on the border of adrenal fatigue - my Cortisol levels spike really high around 3 pm (right when kids get home from school, lol!!). We are working on bringing this down and getting it balanced...
- Low Serotonin and low GABA
- Cholesterol looks good!
- Inflammation looks good!
- Thyroid is a little low but is probably being affected by adrenals, so we are addressing adrenals first as a root cause.
- FERRITIN is VERY LOW. It's a 9 and should be above 80 apparently. Starting on an iron supplement ASAP but also looking into root causes for why this is so low (Celiac or Epstein Barr testing in the works...).
- Vitamin D is low so continuing to add Vitamin D supplement daily (I'm the worst at taking supplements consistently!).
- Sex Hormones are good, but Testosterone is a little low. This aligns with a lot of my symptoms and will hopefully address some of the lack of motivation I am having as well as non-existent libido. I am going to be using a bio-identical testosterone cream from a compounding pharmacy.
I think that is everything...I feel like we got a few answers - I am hoping the Iron thing will make a big difference in my fatigue. However, I still feel like there is a piece of the puzzle that is missing. That is why we will be doing a Celiac Panel (because of indicators on the stool test as well as the low Ferritin) and also an Epstein Barr test. If those don't show up, I imagine we will test for SIBO and Lyme too.
So basically I really still feel in limbo mode. I honestly feel very hopeless, unmotivated, and afraid I'll never get better. Even though I know I'm in good hands, I am struggling to stay positive. I am supposed to do sort of Paleo diet for inflammation but honestly guys I can't even...I am trying but it's so hard. I just want to shove all the cake in my face all the time. I feel exasperated with diets because I have been so strict on my food for so many years and yet here I am. So I guess that triggers me a little. I'll face a diet change when I'm feeling better...
There's my health update. Not upbeat but it's life.
So, the reason for the title "What is "wrong" with me?" is because I still feel like we are trying to figure it all out. I really hope I'll feel better soon but for now I just gotta ride the waves of down days and up days!